Saturday, October 28, 2006

Guyana

Guyana..Have you ever been?? My guess is probably not...Guyana is where I was born so let me tell you a bit about the country.

When you first land in Guyana, the first thing you notice, or at least I notice, is the smell...It's so fresh...Not like mountain fresh or country side fresh..It's different. It's like you can smell the rain forest and just the earth in general...

It smells untouched....

Guyana is a land stuck in time. I visited earlier in July and before that it has been more than 10 years since I had been, and nothing had changed, except for a few roads got bigger...

People drive cars from the 70's and 80's mostly, and the roads are still full of carts drawn by horses...

I remember back in the days I used to visit, and the electricity would go off for hours and hours in the evening. I've never experienced anything so peaceful...Every house you could see just had the glow of candlelight. Everywhere else is pitch black and the only thing breaking the silence is the sounds of the many animals that we share the land with...


It's at this time my grandfather would play the guitar and we would all just listen. Maybe this is why I became fascinated by guitars so much..Not because the hundreds of bands that are out there right now, most of which we'll forget about tomorrow...


Would I ever return to live there?? Sadly...I probably wouldn't...I say sadly because it is a strange feeling not living where you feel as though you belong, or even ought to be...

People tell me that the country is slowly getting back on track, but there's so many problems...

The country is slowly falling apart...socially and economically. The infrastructure is slowly crumbling, and who's gonna stop it?? me?? Maybe I am the kind of person they need to start over fresh. That's the main problem right there...the people needed to save this poor country are the ones leaving and never planning to return, while the ones who do stay are too stuck in the past and their own selfish ways to make the slightest of difference...

But if you just put all that aside and just look at the country for what it is...Beautiful

Guyana means "land of many waters" and that's exactly what it is. The thousands of rivers that flow through the land are the life blood of this country. The water is brown and seems uninviting, but really it is clear, pure, refreshing and bordered by white sands...Sand that few will walk on and touch with their bare feet. Sand that will remain the same for years and years to come.


Will I ever return to Guyana indefinitely?? Sadly...I probably wouldn't...


Will I ever forget her?? Never....

No comments: